Salsa Fresca Chicken Bake
The versatile, flavor packed chicken bake of your dreams!
My mouth is drooling just thinking of how good this recipe was. It makes enough for SIX so we had leftovers for DAYS. Not to mention, there are so many ways to eat this dish; you can serve it over rice or pasta, make them into a wrap, or eat it as the main entree with side dishes. Hellllooooo versatility.
A little backstory on the name, a salsa fresca is a sauce (or salsa) made with raw tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and lime. Hence, salsa fresca chicken bake! You can add a salsa fresca to so many dishes to spice/change them up!
You can add more spices if you'd like a spicer meal
You can take out the jalapeno/lower the spices for a less spicy dish
If you have time, you can marinate the chicken with the spice mixture before baking the dish.
Serve over rice, pasta, or salad, in tortillas, and so much more. Make this recipe work with whatever you have in the kitchen!
Alright, let’s cut to the chase! Recipe for this delicious bake is below.
Makes 6 servings
4 medium chicken breasts, cut
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t minced garlic
1/2 t red cayenne pepper
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped
Handful fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 lime, juiced
1 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
2-4 cups rice
1. Preheat the oven to 400℉. Prepare a greased 13x9 dish.
2. Chop chicken breasts into small pieces and evenly spread in pan.
3. In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt, pepper, and red cayenne pepper. Evenly sprinkle over chopped chicken breasts.
4. Sprinkle minced garlic over seasoned chicken and combine everything together. Spreading chicken back evenly in the pan.
5. In a medium bowl, combine diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Evenly spread over the top of the chopped seasoned chicken.
6. Top with shredded mozzarella and bake for 25-30 minutes (internal chicken temperature of 165℉).
7. While the chicken is baking, boil water and cook rice/pasta/tortillas/other side dish.
(I served mine over Rice-A-Roni long grain brown rice)
8. When chicken is finished, garnish with additional cilantro if desired. Serve hot over rice and enjoy!